Medieval Wicklow - Sites to Visit

Wicklow in the Later Middle Ages

St Mary's Church, Downsill

A small 16th century church situated near the Old Downs village, just south of the Glen of the Downs and not far from Willow Grove Pub. There is a small belfry on the west gable.

Black Castle, Wicklow Town

Situated on a rocky promontory, overlooking the harbour in Wicklow town, the site consists of a deep rock-cut ditch and the remains of the keep. The castle was first recorded in 1174 in a grant from King Henry II and later formed part of the medieval borough of Wicklow. The castle may be on the site of an earlier promontory fort. Travilahawk Beach, directly under the castle ruins, is the reputed landing point in Ireland of St Patrick in AD 432.

Photo:CLICK ABOVE TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE INTERACTIVE MAP

CLICK ABOVE TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE INTERACTIVE MAP

Ordnance Survey Ireland. All rights reserved. Licence Number 2003/07CCMA/ Wicklow County Council

Kindlestown Castle, Delgany

The ruins of this 13th century castle are located in Upper Kindlestown, south-west of Greystones. It was built by the Archibald family with the ground floor originally roofed by a barrel-vault.

Castleruddery Motte

Castleruddery Bronze Age stone circle and medieval motte are situated about 4km south-west of Donard. The stone circle is 30m in diameter and is enclosed by an earthen bank. The nearby motte gaurds a river crossing and is enclosed by a defensive ditch

Wicklow Gaol

The 18th century gaol, located on the southern side of Wicklow Town beside the courthouse, gives a unique insight into the harshness of prison life in the 18th century, the passion of rebellion, the cruelty of the transportation ships and hope of a new life in Australia. 

Open daily 9.30-17.00 throughout the Summer months

Dwyer-McAllister Cottage, Derrynamuck

This three-roomed thatched house, 9km south-east of Donard, was reconstructed in 1947 and further restored in 1992. It is associated with the Wicklow rebel Michael O'Dwyer and is equipped with furniture, utensils, and pikes from the 1798 period.

Open daily 14.00-18.00 throughout the Summer months

This article is extracted from County Wicklow in Prehistory a heritage office publication produced as an action of the County Heritage Plan. Text supplied by Chris Corlett

This page was added by Abbie Wilkinson on 01/07/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.